The history of the battery
4) The lead-acid battery (secondary battery)
The lead-acid battery was invented by Gaston Planté, a French physicist, in 1859.
That battery consisted of two strips of tape sandwiched between two lead plates and rolled into a cylindrical shape. It was repeatedly charged and discharged in diluted sulfuric acid and had a positive electrode of lead dioxide and a negative electrode of lead active material.
In the1880s, pasted electrode batteries were invented by Camille Faure, a French engineer, after which the emerging of a lead-antimony alloy grid made volume production of batteries easier.
In Japan in 1895, Genzou Shimadzu, the second-generation of the Shimadzu Corporation, first succeeded with the prototype of a storage battery, which marked the beginning of production.
From the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century most high storage capacity batteries were used for stand-alone and portable equipment, or electric vehicles.
In the 1930s, glass mat and clad electrodes which were vibration-proof were commercialized and used in industrial vehicles.
In the 1950s and thereafter, with the development of motorization in Japan, demand for automobile batteries grew dramatically, and after 1970, enclosed valve regulated lead-acid batteries appeared, and were employed in a variety of portable devices. The use of these batteries has expanded further in motorcycles and stand-alone equipment.
Because of these developments, lead-acid batteries have become the mainstream of high-capacity secondary batteries.