|Safe Battery UsageBattery Recycling and DisposalStatistics About BatteriesAbout Car BatteriesAbout BAJ|
Environmental Action Program
Following the Guidelines described in the BAJ Environment Charter, the BAJ has set up the Environmental Action Program to define the specific programs for overall environmental conservation activities, through which the member companies shall contribute to global environmental preservation and the realization of a sustainable development society.
In response to changing circumstances for environmental preservation, this Environmental Action Program is subject to revision as the occasion demands.
2. Range of application
The Environmental Action Program shall be applied to the BAJ and its regular member companies. The member companies shall not be requested to follow the whole contents of the program at equal levels. Each member company shall create its own action program and implement it efficiently.
Associate member companies shall also be expected to understand and actively carry out the Action Program.
The Environmental Action Program consists of 11 sections according to the items of the Guidelines in the BAJ Environment Charter, as well as the purposes, targets and measures corresponding to each item.
1. Energy conservation and reduction of CO2 gas (Nos. 3, 8)
2. Reduction of industrial waste (No. 3)
3. Resource saving and recycling (including reusing and reclamation) (No. 3)
4. Appropriate control of chemical substances harmful to the environment (No. 3)
5. Product life-cycle assessment (No. 3)
6. Development of environmentally friendly technology (Nos. 3, 4)
7. Public relations and education (No. 4)
8. Contribution to society (No. 5)
9. International cooperation (No. 6)
10. Cooperation with the administration (No. 7)
11. Building an environmental management system (No. 9)
To set the state or the contents of activities to be accomplished in future for each item when conducting environmental conservation activities.
Setting specific targets to accomplish the purposes set in each item.
(4) Practical measures to be taken
Guidelines for the member companies to create their own action programs and achieve each target by referring to BAJ's practical measures. The member companies may choose and make use of necessary measures as they are closely related to each other.
Following are the contents of the Environmental Action Program:
Environmental Action Program
1 Energy conservation and reduction of CO2 gas
Reducing the energy consumption necessary for the member companies to conduct their business activities.
Year-on-year reduction: More than 1%
a) Promoting the introduction of energy saving facilities
b) Improving the efficiency of production lines
c) Appropriately controlling the use of illumination and air conditioning equipment
d) Effective utilization of energy resources
2 Reduction of industrial waste
Reducing the emission of industrial waste discharged while the member companies are conducting business activities. The member companies shall voluntarily set an industrial waste reduction target and comply with that target.
a) Promoting fractional recovery and recycling
b) Reducing defective products and increasing yield
c) Reducing the weight and volume of industrial waste.
3 Resource saving and recycling (including reusing and reclamation)
(1) Promoting resource saving while conducting business activities.
New products developed after 2001: Reducing resource consumption by 1% or more for major models.
a) Promoting R&D activities for high-efficiency, high-capacity and long-life products
b) Reducing materials
(2) Promoting R&D activities for recycling used products
1) Improving the efficiency of battery-recycling technology
2) Improving the rate of collection of used batteries
NiCd batteries: Recycling rate of more than 40% in 2000
Button-type batteries: Promoting recycling actively
a) Studying recycling to raw materials
b) Developing easy-to-separate structures and materials
c) Arranging tie-ups with metal-refining manufacturers
d) Promoting joint development with relevant organizations
e) Collection of used button-type batteries
i) Demanding the cooperation of users
ii) Installing more collection boxes and conducting follow-up activities
iii) Working together with manufacturers of products that use button-type batteries
(3) Promoting packaging rationalization
1) Using recycled materials
2) Reducing the weight and volume of packaging materials
a) Promoting recycling used plastics
b) Reviewing packaging technologies
c) Using simplified packaging materials
d) Promoting the use of recycled materials
4 Appropriate control of chemical substances harmful to the environment
Strictly controlling the discharge and transport of assigned chemical materials
1) Setting voluntary rules
2) Promoting implementation of Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR)
3) Reducing mercury content in button-type batteries: Less than 0.8% as of 2001
a) Recommending the member companies to introduce the PRTR
b) Studying anticorrosion technology
5 Product life-cycle assessment
(1) Developing eco-friendly products based on product assessment.
Life-cycle assessment has been applied to major products developed since 2001.
a) Developing eco-friendly products recommended at the section meeting of the technical committee.
b) Utilizing BAJ's "Product Assessment (primary batteries)"
(2) Introducing a life-cycle assessment standpoint in each process of the procurement of raw materials, production, distribution, use and disposal.
Studying ISO life-cycle assessment
6 Developing environmentally-friendly technologies
Promoting the development of technologies and products related to environmental preservation.
Supporting the member companies to develop technologies and products related to environmental preservation.
a) Distributing and studying pamphlets to promote the development of technologies related to the environment.
b) Promoting the development of batteries for electric vehicles
c) Promoting the development of batteries for load-leveling and solar batteries
7 Public relations and education
(1) Engaging public relations, advertisement and education activities in cooperation with related industrial associations.
Reviewing and issuing publicity materials related to the environment.
Promoting environment protection activities in cooperation with related committees
(2) Supporting the promotion of environmental education for employees of the member companies.
Creating and issuing materials for environmental education.
Providing data according to environmental education plans.
(3) Disclosing environmental considerations in business activities
1) Announcement of environmental policies
2) Disclosure of product information
a) Announcement of the optimum usage and notes on disposal
b) Improving the contents of the BAJ website
8 Contribution to society
Supporting social communication and volunteer activities
Supporting environmental protection activities in cooperation with local communities and the administration
a) Hosting BAJ events and supporting volunteer activities
b) Participating in various events as an association.
9 International cooperation
(1) Supporting environmental management (protection) activities for overseas affiliates of the member companies.
Supporting environmental management (protection) activities for overseas affiliates
a) Providing horizontal development of environmental technologies as well as giving technological assistance.
b) Researching and supplying materials on regulations and control laws overseas.
(2) Promoting international and industry-wide environmental activities.
Promoting environmental activities by actively participating in the trilateral meeting between Japan,
Europe and the USA
a) Collecting environment-related information overseas
b) Participating in various environmental conferences
10 Cooperation with the administration
Providing the administration with necessary information and suggestions from a position to contribute to domestic and international environmental preservation.
Maintaining smooth communication with administrative agencies.
Exchanging information with the government to maintain cooperation with research related to the environment.
11 Building environmental management systems
Working on continuous improvement by making use of environmental management systems established according to requirement in the ISO14001 standard.
Acquiring ISO14001 certification
Target for acquiring certification of factories:2001
Recommending acquisition of ISO14001 certification for member companies.
|Copyright © 2010 Battery Association of Japan|